- Fast Release: Tagovailoa is a bright signal-caller that processes information quickly, which enables him to distribute the ball efficiently and exploit defensive vulnerabilities. He has one of the quickest releases in the league which is one reason why he was only sacked only 4.9% of the time (6.7% league average).
- Accuracy: Tua has displayed a remarkable ability to place the ball precisely in the hands of his receivers with touch and can thread the needle on short-to-intermediate throws. His precision allows him to expose defenses on curls, out routes, and jump balls, making him a nightmare for defenders.
- Agility: Tagovailoa’s elusiveness allows him to escape pressure and extend drives, providing an extra dose of unpredictability that keeps defenders on their toes. He has shown the ability to extend plays with his legs, maneuvering around the pocket and keeping defenses guessing. While not necessarily a dual-threat quarterback, Tagovailoa’s athleticism and mobility give him an added dimension.
- Concussions: In his 3-year career Tua has been the victim of more concussions than a prizefighting palooka. In 2022 the smallish signal-caller suffered two confirmed concussions and one suspected concussion. While he has shown toughness, there are concerns for his well-being that could cut his season and potentially his career short.
- Pocket Presence: Another area of improvement for Tagovailoa lies in his pocket awareness. At times, he has displayed a tendency to hold on to the ball for too long, resulting in brutal hits or missed opportunities. Enhancing his ability to feel pressure and make quick decisions under duress will be pivotal in his growth as an NFL quarterback.
- Throwing Deep: While Tua worked diligently to improve this area, his deep ball still lacks consistency. There have been instances where he fails to connect on long-range passes, leaving potential big plays on the field.